Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Good, the Bad and the Duckie

Well, I am sitting at the Dallas airport waiting to head back home. At the end of my first of several trips to Dallas this summer, I thought I would summarize my thoughts...

The Good

  • I made it to Chipotle last night. I did had to run across an overpass with no sidewalks, but I think the Chipotle cashier felt sorry for me and so he gave me a free bag of chips and prepared a very thoughtful and fantastic burrito.
  • I took a bath each evening, that's a luxury I don't enjoy at home since the only bathtub is in the "termite bathroom."
  • I think the work is going to be really interesting and different. I am a little burnt out on my job right now and this seems like a great chance to take a breath and do something different for a while. I think that will help me narrow my long-term plan. Also, the people at the Texas office seem...happier. I know that's a total intangible and maybe I just saw all the best moments, but I would say these people seem to like thier jobs more than many of the people I work with in ABQ. It kind of makes me happier to be around happier people, so I think that's going to be a good thing.

The Bad

  • Well, my flight is indefinitely delayed as I right this. So that's bad, right? Despite the good stuff above, I would still like to go home.
  • On Wednesday night, I had a true Texas experience. There were severe thunderstorms in the Texas area and those storms turned into tornado watches (warnings?, I don't know the difference). I was still at work when this happened and we all got to head to the basement for about 20 minutes as a precaution.
  • I miss my husband, my dog and my garden.

The Duckie

  • After my five-mile run (read sweat-a-thon) on Tuesday, I decided that I would take a quick dip in the pool. After all, I plan to take advantage of as many travel perks as possible. The pool was outdoor and next to a small lake. Apparently the ducks prefer the lounge atmosphere of the pool, as a duck was sitting on the pool steps. I really wanted to swim, so I just walked past the duck and we agreed to peacefully co-exist at opposite ends of the pool. All in all, I would say I enjoyed my trip and I didn't totally expect to feel that way. It's early in the summer and we will see if I am singing the same tune in August.

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

I'm glad your trip turned out better than expected -- and that you made it to Chipotle!