Tuesday, June 2, 2009

So Long, Farewell

Tonight we moved the absolute last item out of the "Gavin House." While I am glad to almost be out from under one of our two mortgage payments (our status since March 2007), it was kind of sad to say goodbye tonight. Although the sale won't close officially (keep your fingers crossed) until June 30, our buyer moves in tomorrow. As such, I won't be in that house again unless he's standing next to me complaining about the evaporative cooler (we are essentially landlords for the next month). It's been a mental strain to own the second house and we have really struggled with it during it's 15 months on the market. During that time, I have gotten to go over there several times a week to get mail and water and make sure no one was squatting. It's part of the reason why I had to turn down grad school and part of the reason why we aren't making as much progress as I would like financially. With all that said, when Daniel and I were first falling in love, we looked at this house together and in it I saw our future as a couple. I remember how thrilled we were when his offer was accepted. We really learned about each other and learned to love each other there. I planted my first plants at that house and we learned evaporative cooler maintenance during hot summer nights together. I planned our wedding there and together Daniel and I learned the perils of room painting and ceiling fan hanging. I guess I can say that the Gavin House will always be our first house together and like any couple should, I plan to hold all the best memories with me. It's odd that as you draw to a close on a relationship, you can easily forget the bad memories and see all the good clearly for the first time. Bye bye, Gavin. In the name of moving forward, it's time to call it a day, but you will always hold the title of "Best Bath Tub" to me!

1 comment:

Jackie said...

I definitely had those nostalgic feelings when we moved out of the Hatboro house...
Good luck with wrapping up everything!