Sunday, February 1, 2009

I can't wait to be 30.

Today we ran a 5k. I have been out of commission for the last two weeks since I really jacked up my knee with a run a few weeks ago. The 5k was my first run back and I started out feeling great and the first mile was really no big deal. Sadly, I still had a couple to go and my knee started acting up. It was a tough run, but I finished in 35:36. That isn't exactly lighting the world on fire, but I had to walk a lot of it. D. finished in 29:42, my dad finished in 39:02 and mom was somewhere around 44. My mom actually would have placed 2nd in her age group and gotten a prize, but she didn't wear a timing chip. I am sadly at the top end of my age bracket these days... Today I ran against 20 year olds and while I recently complained about moving to the 30-39 bracket this year, I realized that in race terms it isn't a bad thing to be the youngin' in the age bracket. There's one positive to turning the big 3-0 this year. Regardless, it was a good way to start out our Superbowl Sunday and it brings back my motivation to get back on the training route, even though my knee may not cooperate! I plan to have a bag of peas at hand at all times for the next seven months and run like my life depends on it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The 30's rock- although Jared and I notice we complain more and more about aching joints- aaah well
V