Saturday, February 7, 2009

Four Miles and a Leg Brace

We have reached the official start of our training. The first month was really about conditioning and getting our bodies used to running several times a week. Today, we started adding mileage, which (in theory) will allow us to run 26.1 miles seven months from now. We went up to four miles today and although it was a little rough (read headwind and horrible cramp), we made it through and I guess I feel encouraged by that. Last week, after the 5k, I would have told you that 3.1 miles was my max. Yet, here I am today at 4! I also bought a knee brace today and it made a huge difference during the run, so maybe I won't need to carry a bag of peas with me everywhere I go after all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Erin!

I saw Jackie this weekend and she said you sometimes read my blog, which is funny because I've secretly been reading all about your marathon training! So, I thought I would officially "de-lurk"...

I think it's so great that you and your husband are doing this. Sam and I have been running together for about three months now. I guess eventually we'd like to run a marathon, but right now I can't even fathom that, so we're talking about a 10K -- which still seems like a lot...

Anyway, I've really enjoyed reading about your ups and downs -- it's inspiring for someone who still struggles to hit 3 miles most days!