Saturday, February 14, 2009

Mix It Up

We started running about six weeks ago and while I have seen a steady progression in our distance and endurance (we did 5 miles today), I haven't seen any progression in my "running mix." About a year ago, I put together a 50 minute mix of mostly hip-hop/pop to listen to on the Ipod while I workout (pre-workouts, I did my calculus homework to this mix, both are similarly excruciating.) I've now listened to that mix for the past six weeks, about three times a week. While Kanye's "Stronger" still gets me through the last few minutes of the workout, I need to make a change on the rest of the mix. Although I have admittedly horrible taste in music (usually a large contribution comes from Top40), music really inspires me. For example, if I hear Coldplay's "Viva La Vida" in the morning, I face the day with greater strength and optimism.
Playing on my mind these days is the importance of a marathon day mix. Besides training my body to run 26 miles at one time, I need to spend the next 6.5 months fine-tuning the mix that will carry me through the race in September. I think I will likely find an hour-ish long mix that I can repeat many, many times until I drag my tired body across the finish line. [How long does an Ipod keeps its charge?] In the last week, I pulled some CDs out from high school/college to see what I might add to the mix. I rediscovered Cake's Fashion Nugget album and Everclear's "So Much for the Afterglow" and know that I have some potential contributors.
So, here's the question: If you had to run 26.2 miles, what song would get you through mile 26?

2 comments:

Jackie said...

I'm now making a D & E Marathon Mix. There are so many fantastic tunes you'd love.

Anonymous said...

i'd probably use some old tunes i used to listen to while snowboarding- i don't think you'd be down for my teeth grinding music, but would be happy to send you a punk/core mix-
OR you could go old school and bust out 'eye of the tiger' or 'we are the champions' - good way to get the last leg in and end :)
V